Wednesday 24 November 2010

Tanabata

Tanabata (Chinese meaning: Evening of the Seventh) is a Japanese festival related to seasonal change.
It is originated from a Chinese festival entitled Qi Xi.

People celebrate this festival by hanging their written wish on a bamboo tree's branch.






This festival celebrates the meeting of Orihime (Vega) and Hikoboshi (Altair). According to legend, the Milky Way, a river made from stars that crosses the sky.
It separates these lovers, but they are still allowed to meet even that it is only once a year on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month of the lunisolar calendar. The celebration is held at night.

I don't celebrate this festival, though. I live in Indonesia, and people here just don't usually do that. But from the first time I heard about this, I actually like the idea. The best idea I think is to hang the wish on a tree. It makes a good decor item, I think. It's also a good remembrance of hope.

Well, I guess that's it. Probably I'll post more about this later. See ya! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only I could go to Japan... ~sigh~

❅ efaltia ❅ said...

I know.. T_T I want that tooo :|

Post a Comment


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More